Sunday, August 05, 2007

Ironman LP/Palfest


The start, 7:01 am

Doug "Lucky Charm" Berner, Sarah T and Shelley cheer them on

Post ride pub fare at Lisa G's with Pat Scannell and pals Eric G and John D

Well it was that time again, when thousands of triathletes swarm Lake Placid. It's definitely our busiest time of year for massage but I feel right at home. Shelley and I work as much as we can but we have to pace ourselves; our Ironman lasts for 2 weeks. These people were our guinea pigs when we were learning massage and some of our first clients, so they're like family.
This was the first year in 6 or 7 years that I chose not to work the volunteer massage tent on race day. It was a tough choice because it's always very fulfilling and fun to work the tent, but my hands, arms and back really needed a break so I did my usual ride backwards (the hard way) on the course and just cheered on friends and clients for the rest of the day. It felt wierd being "out of the loop", so I'm sure I'll be back in it next year.
Lots of friends came to visit; Sarah Tillotson stayed a few days and Annette from Colavita too, along with Doug B who was wrenching for Timex. Funny story: a local triathalete who comes to see us always has to have Doug touch her bike before every Ironman she does, just for luck, hence the "lucky charm" moniker. I hope it catches on. Or should it be Lucky Star cuz Doug's such a Madonna fan?
John Drenning came back from lawyering in Seattle to do some wrenching at HPC and buy bike parts at cost and is staying a few weeks. It's been awesome; we need a JD fix regularly to whip us into shape before we all become boring. Eric and Alyssa Goodson came too so it was a pal reunion from the early 90s at HPC, aw yeah. Pat Scannell raced and there was even a Todd Eastman sighting. And of course GW was here to entertain all. All in all it's a big partay and people come out of the woodwork to be a part of it. It's a great tight group and a blast to be part of.
I was toying of the idea of going down to Toona for the team but I was booked solid through Friday and honestly, by the time I closed up that evening I had nothing left to give. Sorry ladies, but I'm sure Cindy and Randy did a great job. Way to hang tough and I'll see you all soon, I hope.
T

1 Comments:

At 11:50 AM , Blogger Heather said...

You were definitely missed. It's just not the same without you!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home